Wednesday 7 October 2009

the year 2016

Felt slightly annoyed when I heard the shadow Chancellor, George Osborne, indicate that as part of the plan to put the economy in shape he would raise the retirement age for men to 66 in the year 2016. The initial annoyance stems from the fact that, God willing, just 5 days into 2016 I will be 65. It could mean that I will need to work another year before becoming eligible for the state pension.

I then began to feel a bit selfish. The problem the nation is facing is far bigger than me and as Mr Osborne said - We are all in this together. So, I have recovered myself and no longer feel annoyed. Also, Mr Osborne's repeated phrase, "we are all in this together", gave me an idea for a sermon for Sunday's baptismal service. Perhaps we could also sing the song from High School Musical?

No comments: