Sunday 2 September 2007

This morning I led my last Sunday service before beginning the 3 months study period. The service included an act of thanksgiving, dedication and blessing. Baby Angus behaved beautifully and smiled at all the right moments. We enjoyed having a number of visitors who had come to share in the service for Angus. When Annette was chatting to one of the visitors after the service he recognised that my accent was from the Glasgow area because he thought I sounded like Billy Connolly. Perhaps the Baptist Times should run the shock headline - Baptist minister sounds like the Big Yin!
I cant say that I am particularly pleased with the comparison. I certainly don't use the kind of language he regularly uses to get laughs and I am certainly not to be found sitting in the same Glasgow football stadium he does to follow his team.
Today actually marks the 29th anniversary of my ordination and induction to the Baptist Churches at Blackley and Elland Upper Edge in West Yorkshire. It was then that we moved to England and have remained in England since. It is not surprising that my accent has modified somewhat. My friends north of the border would now say I have a posh Scottish accent. I wonder how long Billy Connolly has lived away from Scotland to perfect his posh Scottish accent?

No comments: