Monday 24 September 2007

Day 22


Annette and I enjoyed our trip to the Open Air Museum at Beamish on Saturday. The weather was ideal for strolling around the various areas. I was particularly interested in the reconstructed Colliery village from the year 1913. The little work I have done on my family tree revealed that my father, grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather were all coal miners. The town Annette and I grew up in had originally been a mining village with its own coal mine which was the major source of employment. I would expect that the reconstructed village at Beamish would not be all that different from what our grandparents would have known. At the reconstructed town site we made a beeline for the Confectioners which had a good selection of sweets from days gone buy.


Today’s sabbatical work has been slightly different. I have listened, courtesy of the internet, to a number of lectures given at a recent pastors’ conference in America. The subjects ranged from ‘ what are pastors for’ to the ‘primary paradigm of Christian ministry’. One lecturer suggested that pastors need to beware of being so busy that they don’t give time to the burning bush, while another reminded his hearers of some of the difficulties and challenges facing pastors in this day and age. I came across some names I had never heard of and also did some more digging on the internet to find out more about them. It was good to be able to listen to a variety of speakers.

But I didn’t care too much for the singer and his songs at the end of each lecture!

No comments: